Suburb Profile - Wanneroo


In the early days of the Swan River Colony, the district of Wanneroo represented an "outer" region and it is not until 1834 that an excursion into the area by any explorers or settlers is recorded. In that year, a party of 4 led by John Butler, travelled about 35 miles North from Perth to search for lost cattle and passed through the area just to the East of Lake Joondalup. Butler stated that the aborigines of the area were "those Wanneroo men who frequent Perth in company with the Yellowgonga tribe." It is not known when early settlers started using the name "Wanneroo". But as early as 1842, a Surveyor recorded "road to Wanneroo" and in 1844, James Dobbins gave his address as Wanneroo. A government townsite was gazetted as "Wanneru" in August 1907 and it was not until May 1953 that the spelling was amended to "Wanneroo".